In this week’s upcoming episode, we talk writing, reading and all manner of hilarious, bookish topics with author and comedian B.J. Mendelson. The episode airs on Sunday, June 24th at Noon, Pacific time. While you eagerly await the air date, be sure to check out his bio here, and read his fabulous answers to the Proustish Questionnaire below.
The Proust-ish Questionnaire
Q. Who is your favorite heroine from fiction? Why?
- Mina Harker. She’s surrounded by idiots, turns into a vampire, and still manages to help save the day.
Q. Who is your favorite hero from fiction? Why?
- Frodo, he’s in a constant state of complaining and whining that I feel like we must be related somehow.
Q. If you could have dinner with any three authors, dead or alive, whom would you dine with? (Note: You could have dinner with all three together, or each one individually).
- Bram Stoker, Darcy Stoker, and Mary Shelly. Shelly and Bram to hear them discuss their legendary works, Bram and Darcy because I want to see if they get into a fist fight over the alleged “Sequel” to Dracula.
Q. Do you have a current or “forever” favorite book?
A.I don’t. I think my favorite book is whatever is up next to be read.
Q. Which fictional character would you want to befriend?
- Mina Harker. I spent a lot of time “writing” her character for a Dracula parody I was working on and she just seemed awesome.
Q. What character from fiction do you love to hate?
- Renfield. What a dick.
Q. Tell us about the books in your life that have fed your soul, brought you solace, pleasure, or joy, or eased your mind.
- Is it obvious yet? Dracula. ;-). But honestly, I read way more non-fiction than fiction. Anything about Abraham Lincoln I really enjoy.
Q. If you could exist in any story world, which would you choose, and why?
- Probably Westeros, if for any other reason that I could probably survive all the shenanigans by being a court jester.
Q. If not yourself, which fictional character would you be?
- I wouldn’t be anyone but me.